Wednesday, November 25, 2009

11-8,9-09

Clothes, Clothes, Clothes.

I love to shop. I love to shop for myself, for others, for gifts, for food. I just love it, I love to see all the new things, the excitement on ones face when they receive something new and I love to find a good deal. Shopping in Bangladesh is nothing like the states. There are no shopping malls, no department stores. Most are just street venders, with small stores that have everything from nail polish to saris…Don’t get me wrong I still shop here, but its just not the same. For children here at the orphanage they “go shopping” twice a year: once to exchange their summer clothes for winter clothes, and then again to shed their winter outfits. This “shopping” is done out of the storeroom and is a HUGE JOB. The children line up with all the clothes they have and one by one come to us and we go through all they have, decide what they keep and then give them new things, everything is checked, undies, socks, shoes, t-shirts, dresses. Everything.

My job was to help with this Large “Shopping” event. I picked out new church dresses, undies, shoes, church socks, you name it I got it. And you know what? Seeing the Children’s faces light up was better then any shopping trip I have ever been on. They were content, so appreciative, yet unique and opinionated. Some girls loved pink others hated it. Some boys wanted a truck on their shirt and some preferred buttons. We laughed and giggled, and after three long days we had 104 beautifully dressed children, many smiling faces and a huge mound of clothes to refold!!

No comments: